International

Thai boys in good spirits and good health, hospital official says

Sitting in a hospital isolation ward and wearing green surgical masks, the boys rescued from a flooded cave in Thailand's north appear in good spirits in new footage.

Key points:

  • The soccer team members lost an average of 2 kilograms during their ordeal
  • The group was trapped in the cave on June 23
  • Some parents have been able to meet their sons

The video shows the boys chatting with nurses and making two-finger victory signs. Some of their parents are seen crying and waving to them from behind glass.

The 12 boys and their football coach lost an average of 2 kilograms during their 17-day ordeal but were generally in good condition and showed no signs of stress, a senior health official said.

Thais reacted with relief, gratitude and exhilaration after the last group of the Wild Boars football team was rescued from the Tham Luang cave complex on Tuesday — near the border with Myanmar — ending an ordeal that gripped Thailand and the world.

The boys rescued from a flooded Thai cave were seen smiling and chatting from their hospital beds.

The group was trapped in the cave on June 23, when they were exploring it after a soccer practice session and it became flooded by monsoon rains.

Each of the boys, aged 11 to 16 and with no diving experience, was guided out by a pair of divers in three days of intricate and high-stakes operations.

They were taken by helicopter to a hospital about 70 kilometres away to join their team mates in quarantine for the time being.

"From our assessment, they are in good condition and not stressed. The children were well taken care of in the cave. Most of the boys lost an average of 2 kilograms," said Thongchai Lertwilairattanapong, an inspector for Thailand's health department.

Officials: no-one was to blame

Parents of the first four boys freed on Sunday have been able to visit them but only when wearing protective suits and standing two metres away as a precaution.

Previously, they had only been able to observe the boys through a window.

Mr Thongchai said one from the last group rescued on Tuesday had a lung infection and they were all given vaccinations for rabies and tetanus.

Relatives of Thai boys wave through the glass partition at hospital

Chaiwetch Thanapaisal, the director of Chiang Rai Prachanukroh Hospital, told a news conference involving officials who participated in the rescue that "everyone is strong in mind and heart".

Rescue mission chief Narongsak Osottanakorn said the boys were just being children when they got lost and no-one was to blame.

"We don't see the children as at fault or as heroes. They are children being children, it was an accident," he said.

A look inside the Tham Luang Nang Non cave

The boys were praised by one of their rescuers, Australian doctor Richard Harris, who told Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull they were "big heroes".

"They are the toughest blokes and kids I've ever had the privilege to meet," Dr Harris said.

"They are the ones who were responsible for their own morale and really their own safety and without them being in the state they were in we couldn't have done anything."

Movie, museum plans underway

Mr Osottanakorn told reporters the Tham Luang cave complex would be turned into a museum to showcase the rescue.

"This area will become a living museum to show how the operation unfolded," he said.

"An interactive data base will be set up."

"It will become another major attraction for Thailand."

A wide photo inside the cave shows rescue workers, equipment and lights set up

And the producers behind Christian films such as God's Not Dead are already in Thailand with plans to develop a movie about the 18-day saga of the soccer team trapped in a flooded cave.

Pure Flix Entertainment co-founder Michael Scott said the story was ripe for film adaptation.

"We realised that this would make an incredibly inspiring movie," Scott said.

Scott and fellow producer Adam Smith recently travelled to the area around the cave, and have begun talking to some of the participants about their "life rights".

But they also said they were not yet pursuing most of the families of the boys, who on Wednesday remained in hospital.

Richard Harris (right), pictured with his dive partner Craig Challen, was the last man out of the cave

Diving in zero visibility

Meanwhile, details of the methods used and the conditions faced by the rescuers emerged in a video released by the Thai Navy SEALs, later taken offline.

The boys saved from a flooded cave endured dives in zero visibility lasting up to half an hour.

In places, they were put into harnesses and high-lined across rocky caverns, according to a rescuer involved in the operation.

External Link: Facebook post: Thai Navy SEAL pay tribute to Richard Harris father

It was all part of an elaborate rescue mission involving more than 1,000 Thai army personnel and 90 divers, led by a British team, which helped remove the boys through the narrow caves back to the surface.

Dr Harris spent several days in the cave with the boys, checking each one medically before their journey above ground, only to find out that his father had died shortly afterwards.

Highlighting the dangers faced by the rescue team, a former Thai Navy SEAL died on Friday while replenishing the oxygen canisters.

Toby Hamnett from the British Cave Rescue Council told the ABC it was "one of the most difficult cave rescues I think we've seen", the likes of which we should not expect to see again anytime soon.

"The statistical chances of something like this happening again is very, very low," he said.

ABC/wires

More on this story:

Show More

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Close