International

Victoria Records 288 New Coronavirus Cases

Victoria has recorded Australias biggest daily increase in COVID-19 cases, as the states chief health officer seeks to reassure people the outbreak isnt spiralling out of control.

The state recorded 288 new COVID-19 cases on July 10, with just 26 linked to known outbreaks and 262 under investigation.

Its the fifth day in a row of triple-digit figures in the state.

Previously, the highest daily state total in Australia was 212 cases recorded in NSW on March 27, at the height of the Ruby Princess and Newmarch House outbreaks.

It brings Victorias overall tally to 3397, of which 1172 remain active.

There are also more than 5000 close contacts of people who tested positive now in quarantine or being contacted by public health officers.

Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton said while the numbers are “pretty ugly”, the virus isnt yet out of control.

“We are working on controlling this. We know what works. We know it works through our first wave,” he told reporters on Friday.

“It absolutely has to have people doing the right thing across the board and so, in a sense, it is in all of our hands.”

Sutton said it could take up to two weeks before the effects of the lockdown are reflected in the case numbers, and that the figures may become worse before they are better.

Some 47 Victorians are in hospital with the virus, 12 of them in intensive care.

“We will see an increase in hospitalised and ICU cases and in deaths in the coming days because of the spike that we have seen,” Sutton said.

He wasnt surprised health workers make up 14 of the new cases.

“It is the coalface, they are seeing those most likely to be carrying the virus. They are doing absolutely essential work and it is dangerous work,” he said.

Sutton also noted a significant amount of community transmission in the suburbs of Craigieburn, Roxburgh Park and Truganina, where the states largest cluster was discovered at Al-Taqwa College.

The first case at the school was identified on June 27, with the outbreak now totalling more than 110 people.

About 2000 students and hundreds of staff went into quarantine.

Sutton urged people in those suburbs with symptoms to get tested immediately.

Premier Daniel Andrews said the spike in new cases proved the need for parts of the state to re-enter lockdown.

“We didnt take that step because we didnt have a problem, we took that step because we knew it would need to get worse before it got better,” he said.

“Unless we took those steps we simply wouldnt be able to bring a sense of control to this.”

People in locked-down metropolitan Melbourne and Mitchell Shire have been advised to wear masks when they are outside their home and physical distancing is not possible.

The government said studies havRead More – Source

Show More

Related Articles

Back to top button
Close